Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Serves 6 + leftovers
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground pork (optional)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into half moons
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (or more)
- 1 cup canned lentils, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups thinly sliced kale or chard, ribs removed
- Grated pecorino cheese to finish (optional)
- Garlic oil for drizzling into bowl (optional)
Warm oil in large pot, add ground pork and cook until it begins to lose its pinkness. Add vegetables, a pinch of salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add canned lentils, bay leaves, crushed tomatoes, and water. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook gently for 15-20 minutes. Add greens and let simmer until tender. Add more water as needed to adjust the thickness of the stew.
To serve, add grated pecorino romano and a splash of garlic oil.
Leftovers keep well for at least 2 days. Make a double batch and freeze it!